- Explain the importance of UN Resolution 181
- Explain the similarities and differences with the recommendations of the Peel Commission’s partition plan
- Explain the significance of the civil war in Palestine
- Hilary Brash, The Middle East: Conflict, Crisis and Change, 1917-2012, pp. 16-20
- Hodder, pp.13-15: Partition and the Birth of Israel;
- Edexcel, pp. 13-14: Creation of the State of Israel
- Complete the living graph of the British in Palestine
- Video and hot seating task: found on BBC bitesize
- Compare the partition proposals from 1937 and 1947 – what are the main differences and how would you explain them?
- Complete the colour coding exercise – on the reasons for the creation of State of Israel.
- Read: chapter 5 of the Hodder textbook (pp. 13-15) and complete questions on p. 15.
- Group task: To produce a mind map showing the long and short term reasons for the eventual creation of Israel:
- Rank order the reasons clockwise beginning with the most important at 12.0. clock
- Draw lines to show links between the reasons. Explain links along lines
- Paired task: Produce two different newspaper headlines showing reactions to the creation of Israel:
- One in the Arab world
- Another in the USA
- Homework:How far was WWII responsible for Jewish state?