- N. Kelly, Edexcel International GCSE (9-1) History A World Divided: Superpower Relations, 1943-72 (this is the most important textbook)
- Ben Walsh, GCSE Modern World History, sections 11, 12 and 14.1 (Walsh).
- For key points and mnemonics see John D. Clare’s brilliant pages on the Causes of the Cold War and then on the Development of the Cold War.
- A basic timeline can be found on HistoryontheNet
There are several key areas of knowledge and understanding that you need to master in this section of the course:
- Reasons for the Cold War
- Early Developments in the Cold War, 1945-49
- The Cold War in the 1950s
- The Arms race 1945-1962
- The Berlin Crisis, 1958-1961
- The Cuban Missile Crisis, 1962
- The Soviet Invasion of Czechoslovakia
- The Thaw and moves towards Détente, 1963-72
In addition to the items above, see also: