By the end of this section of the course you should be able to:
- Explain the terms of the the British Mandate for Palestine
- Explain the reasons for Palestinian Arab unrest in the 1920s and 1930s
- Explain the solution proposed by the Peel Commission and how this was received by both Palestinian Arabs and Jews
- Explain the impact of the Second World War on the Mandate
Key events and processes:
- The British Mandate – class A (confirmed in 1922)
- Jewish immigration(know some figures) and the reaction of Palestinians, including the Arab Revolt (1936)
- Clashes between Jews and Palestinians
- The Peel Commission, 1936-7
- The McDonald Report and the White Paper of 1939
- The Impact of the Second World War
- The British Mandate
- Hilary Brash, The Middle East: Conflict, Crisis and change, 1917-2012, pp. 6-10;
- Charlotte Kelsted, ‘100 years after the Balfour Declaration – revisiting Herbert Samuel’s Legacy’.
- Summarise the key provisions of the the Palestine Mandate
- How are the British Mandate and the Balfour declaration related?
- How far are the interests of Arab Palestinians recognised in the Mandate?
- Summarise the key provisions of the Mandate
- Explain the extent of and reasons for population change in the mandate in the 1920s and 1930s
- Using the sources in the this file – Jewish immigration to Palestine – complete the diagram explaining the causes and consequences of Jewish immigration between 1900 and 1945.
- Identify and briefly describe three incidents which indicate that Arab Palestinians were unhappy about the increasing Jewish immigration
- The 1937 Peel Commission
- Hilary Brash, The Middle East: Conflict, Crisis and Change, 1917-2012, pp. 6-9.
- from BBC Bitesize
- Develop a role-play based around the Peel Commission of 1936 which came after six months of fighting between Jews and Arabs in Palestine
- Palestine and the Second World War
- Hilary Brash, The Middle East: Conflict, Crisis and Change, 1917-2012, pp. 10.
- Notes on British policy changes in Palestine (Word).
- WWII and the British mandate in Palestine (PPT)
- What are the key differences between 1937 Peel Commission and the McDonald Report that led to the White Paper of 1939? How do you explain the British change of policy?
- How far did WWII change British policy in Palestine?
- Draw a living graph of the period 1917-1945 identifying the changes and continuities in British policy in that period.